Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday thoughts


Hello friends!

Photobucket

I have a confession to make. I've decided to become a high school English teacher. For most of my life, I didn't know what to do. I spent five years in my undergrad because I wasn't sure- I did double major, but still. This decision comes after years of uncertainty, different dreams, and constant reminders that teachers don't make any money, that teaching is what you do when you fail at everything else, that kids "these days" are harder, meaner, don't want to learn anymore.

As for the money, I'll learn how to live with the pay I get and I'll learn to be happy with it. As for the failure, this is the only dream I've had that I can envision myself doing successfully and being truly happy. As for "kids these days", that's what every generation says about the generation after it. I believe kids want to learn, kids want to be loved, kids are willing.


I have a long journey ahead of me: grad school, student teaching. Being a teacher is about speaking publicly and clearly about ideas and being a leader. Neither of these come naturally to me, so I have a lot to learn as well. But I can do this- I want to do this.

Thanks for listening. Here's what I'm wearing today:


Golden glitter Toms! They're my favorite shoes, and I have to wear them sparingly. I decided a busy Monday morning was as good as any to use their magic on them.

My James and the Giant Peach shirt. Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors of all time, and I love this shirt to pieces. I wear it all the time! + blue cardigan, but only for inside our cold house and inside my cold classrooms, it's hot in April in Arizona!

Have a good Monday, everyone. Worst day of the week, I know!

1 comment:

  1. AW LAURA!!! You are going to make such a great teacher!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete