Saturday, January 15, 2011

book review: The Book of Lost Things



Photobucket

I read. A lot. More than a lot. All the time, I read constantly and consistently. Sometimes I have to take breaks when I'm in school- as an English major, I have enough to read! But overall, I love to read and I like to share my reviews, especially of books I liked.

I read this book, John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things over winter break. It was a gift from my brother, and one of my favorite books I've read recently. The story follows as such: A young boy named David loses his mother. His father remarries and David feels angry and left out. He escapes into a world of fantasy- possibly of his imagination, possibly of other people's. The world he gets lost in is one of fairy tales and magic.


The book goes through many of the popular fairy tales, and retells them in an even darker fashion. The popular princess stories- Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty- are told darker, and with many of the princesses featured as villains. If you don't like dark retellings, this book is definitely not for you! The fairy tales featured are often violent and sexual, so beware! The book is not for children or the faint of heart.

Photobucket


Here's me reading the first few sentences of the book. Please enjoy and please reading the book!

2 comments:

  1. Put it on my list. You look so sad in the screencap of the video. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i know right? i don't know

    ReplyDelete